Terms + Conditions
1. ‘workwisewords’ is a trading name of MASH Creative Services Pty Ltd (ABN 90 147 809 277). By requesting editing or writing services from workwisewords services, you agree to the following terms and conditions.
2. ‘Services’ may include (as agreed in writing by workwisewords and the client) line editing and copyediting services as encompassed within the Australian Standards for Editing Practice; proofreading; indexing; file formatting and print preparation; manuscript evaluation; content development, rewriting, or ghost-writing; or other services as agreed in writing by workwisewords and the client.
3. ‘Line editing‘ – workwisewords will check that information is complete and appropriate, and determine whether additional material or elements are required; determine whether any rearrangement, expansion or summarising of sections is required; check that information and arguments are presented clearly and unambiguously and that language and form are appropriate to the readership; correct redundancies, contradictions and irrelevant material; and address consistency in tone and writing style.
4. ‘Copyediting‘ – workwisewords will correct grammar, spelling, punctuation, clarity of expression and use of idiom; ensure consistency of terminology, capitalisation, hyphenation, abbreviations, numbers and symbols, and references; check for consistency and appropriateness of heading hierarchy, figures, tables and captions; check accuracy of dates, hyperlinks, names and titles; check accuracy and consistency of cross references in-text, between text and figures, and between lists of contents and text; check conformity and completeness in textual and bibliographic references and quotations; and check sources have been acknowledged and copyright law has been followed.
5. ‘Proofreading‘ – workwisewords will correct the final copy to address errors in spelling, punctuation, capitalisation, hyphenation, abbreviations, use of numbers and symbols; check for consistency in of typography, heading hierarchy, figures, tables and captions; re-check accuracy and consistency of cross references in-text, between text and figures, and between lists of contents and text; and optimise image placement and page breaks.
6.’ Formatting‘ – workwisewords will correct, standardise or apply consistent and suitable page layout, fonts, headers/footers, headings and heading hierarchy, table styles, list styles, caption styles; optimise pagination, image placements and typography; and create tables of contents and lists of figures, tables, abbreviations etc. Formatting requirements falling outside this description are considered graphic design and are charged as a separate service.
7. ‘Thesis editing’ and any other services related to work prepared for academic grading in furtherance of an educational qualification refers to copyediting, proofreading and formatting services as above consistent with Parts D and E of the Australian Standards for Editing Practice, subject to any requirements and limitations imposed by the Institute for Professional Editing’s Guidelines for Editing Research Theses and by relevant university or institutional policies and guidelines.
8. Initial inquiries about services can be made by email (directly or via the contact form at workwisewords.com.au) or by telephone. In response to initial inquiries workwisewords will provide advice about services, availability, prices and timeframes. All information provided in response to initial inquiries is provisional and is subject to change in the final quote.
9. Unless otherwise agreed by workwisewords, a request for a formal quotation must be made through the New Client Questionnaire form at workwisewords.com.au. A formal quotation will include a total price or pro rata rate reflecting the information provided by the prospective client; the total price or pro rata rate provided are final and subject to change only if the requirements of the project differ from those described in the request for a formal quotation.
10. In order to furnish a final quotation workwisewords may request additional information from the prospective client including but not limited to a sample of the work to be edited or similar work, confirmation of approval for editing from academic supervisors, style guidelines and formatting requirements, and conformation of the client’s location (for GST purposes).
11. All prices and rates are in Australian dollars and are exclusive of GST. Total prices are based on the word count of the document submitted for services. Where a formal quote is provided prior to finalisation of the word count it shall be based on an estimated or indicative word count provided by the client. Where the final document exceeds the estimated word count an invoice for payment of the difference may be issued and is payable before return of the document. However, no additional fees will be charged without prior notice in writing to, and consent in writing from, the client.
12. Where a client is paying for services personally, written confirmation from the client is sufficient notice that the formal quotation has been accepted. Where the cost is being met by a third party or is to be reimbursed by a third party, written confirmation from that third party that they will meet costs and agree to these terms and conditions is required.
13. Unless otherwise agreed in writing, services will not commence until full or partial payment has been made in accordance with the terms below.
14. Upon notification of acceptance of a formal quotation, workwisewords will generate an invoice. Where the client is paying personally, the invoice will be directed to them unless otherwise requested. Where payment is to be met in part or full by a third party the invoice will be directed to that party; the client will be asked to provide a point of contact and contact details for that purpose.
15. Where the client is paying personally:
- for invoices for $500 (exclusive of GST) or less, payment in full is required prior to commencement of services unless otherwise agreed in writing.
- for invoices up to $1000, the client may (i) as agreed in writing, pay in full prior to commencement of services, or pay $500 prior to commencement of services with the balance payable prior to return of the edited document.
- for invoices over $1000, the client may (i) as agreed in writing, pay in full prior to commencement of services, or pay 50% prior to commencement of services with the balance payable prior to return of the edited document.
- A 10% discount may be provided to selected clients for payment in full in advance. Any discount will be reflected in the invoice. (Please note that a discount will not apply to accounts where a third party is either paying the invoice directly or reimbursing the client).
16. Where payment is to be made by a third party the invoice will be directed to the third party and will request payment in full, payable in accordance with the agreed terms.
17. Where the client elects to have the cost of editing paid directly by a third party, but where there is no arrangement between the third party and workwisewords, the client will still be responsible for the invoice. workwisewords may agree to extended payment terms where evidence has been presented that funds are available, to allow funds to be paid; however, the client remains responsible for the account and any unpaid amount.
18. Where there is a shortfall between the quoted amount and the amount to be covered by the third party the client is required to pay the difference upfront.
19. Where the final document provided for services exceeds the estimated word count provided for the quote, an invoice for payment of the difference may be issued and is payable before return of the document. However, no additional fees will be charged without prior notice in writing to, and consent in writing from, the client. Where the client elects not to pay additional fees, the editing may be limited to cover the word count paid for on a pro rata basis.
20. Available methods of payment include direct deposit, BPay, PayPal and Stripe (credit card)
21. Unless otherwise agreed in writing, line editing, copyediting, proofreading and thesis editing services shall be provided in the manner laid out below.
22. Changes to the client’s manuscript to be considered by the client following line editing, copyediting, or thesis editing will be provided in the form of mark-up on the client’s manuscript. Unless otherwise agreed in writing, mark-up will be provided
(a) for MS Word files, using the Track Changes and Comment functions
(b) for PDF files, using the Comments and Insert Text functions
(c) for hard copy, using handwritten proofreader’s marks with a key to be provided to the client with the returned manuscript.
23. It is the responsibility of the client to review and action (or choose not to action) this mark-up to produce a final copy. The final copy is deemed to reflect the client’s considered decision on all changes suggested in the marked-up manuscript.
24. Proofreading and formatting will be provided after the client actions the mark-up and returns the final copy. Proofreading is confined to correction of layout and typographical errors as the final copy provided for proofreading is deemed to reflect the client’s decisions regarding style and grammar.
25. A date or timeframe for return of edited material will be included as part of the final quotation. This date is contingent upon the client (a) providing material for editing in line with agreed timeframes and (b) making payment in part or full in keeping with these terms and condition. Delays in providing material or in making payment will require in a new timeline to be agreed.
26. It is preferable to submit documents/manuscripts as a whole. Where the client would prefer to submit a document/manuscript in parts (for example chapter by chapter) this can be accommodated. Please note that timeframes for return will need to be agreed for each submitted portion as availability for immediate turnaround cannot be guaranteed on short notice. The final agreed date for return of the document can only be met where all portions are submitted and booked and is subject to availability.
27. Where a document/manuscript is returned to the editor for further changes and/or formatting before submission, the client is required to check the availability for this service. It is advisable to plan ahead and ensure sufficient time, especially during peak periods where availability is limited.
28. Support for a maximum of two rounds of additional changes prior to submission is included within the scope of the final quote provided:
(a) the changes do not alter more than 10% of the text by word count and
(b) do not amount to more than 5% additional text by word count.
Editing where changes exceed these limits may incur an additional charge to be agreed between workwisewords and the client.
29. Support for one round of minor changes required following review by an examiner, house editor or publisher is included provided:
(a) the document submitted was identical with the formatted final copy returned to the client for submission,
(b) any changes required do not amount to more than 10% of the text by word count and
(c) any changes required do not amount to more than 5% additional text by word count.
Editing where changes have been made from the formatted final copy prior to submission or where changes exceed these limits may incur an additional charge to be agreed between workwisewords and the client.
30. Notice of intention to cancel a previously accepted quotation can be provided by the client at any time prior to payment by sending notice in writing (including email or text message), or by other means subject to confirmation in writing.
31. Once payment in full or part has been received by workwisewords, the client is deemed to have confirmed that work is to commence and work may commence at any time thereafter. The client may cancel the services requested at any time by sending notice in writing (including email or text message), or by other means subject to confirmation in writing.
32. Any amounts paid will be refunded in full where services have not commenced. Unless otherwise agreed in writing, where work has already commenced a full refund will be provided only where fewer than 1000 words have been edited. Where more than 1000 words have been edited a partial refund will be provided on a pro rata basis for work not completed.
33. workwisewords retains the right to refuse at its sole discretion to provide services in respect of work that workwisewords (a) reasonably believes to be plagiarised or (b) reasonably believes to contravene the law, or (c) finds to be offensive or objectionable. If any sections within a document are determined to have been plagiarised, those sections will not be edited and no pro rata refund will be given.
34. workwisewords does not warrant that the services will be delivered 100% free of error and will work with the client to minimise and rectify any errors.
35. workwisewords does not warrant that the services will result in or achieve (a) improved or passing grades, (b) acceptance for publication, or (c) acceptance of a research or grant proposal.
36. To the maximum extent permitted by law, workwisewords’ liability to the client is limited to resupply of the services.
37. To the maximum extent permitted by law workwisewords (a) excludes all conditions, warranties, guarantees or representations (expressed or implied) in relation to the services; and (b) is not responsible to the client or to any other person for any loss (including consequential loss), damage or injury, caused by, resulting from or in any way connected with the services, including due to workwisewords’ negligence, breach of contract, breach of any law, in equity, or under any indemnity.
38. To the maximum extent permitted by law, the maximum amount recoverable by the client from workwisewords under or in connection with the services is limited to the fees paid by the client to workwisewords.
39. Where a client is not satisfied with the services provided workwisewords will review the work product and, where appropriate, work with the client to address issues that fall within the scope of the services originally requested.
40. Where additional changes or remaining errors are identified by a publisher or examiner as requiring correction, the client must request an additional round of editing in accordance with clause 23 above. The presence of errors that require revision or correction does not indicate that workwisewords has not provided service well or in accordance with these Terms and Conditions.
41. In the event of a dispute in connection with the provision of services or these Terms and Conditions, the client agrees to attempt to resolve the dispute through negotiation with workwisewords.
42. All copyright in material submitted for services (including content development) to workwisewords remain vested in the author or other copyright holder.
43. It is the client’s responsibility to ensure the originality of all material submitted to workwisewords.